COVID-19 Status Update: Week of April 27th, 2020
On March 23, 2020 In response to the guidance provided by our local, state and federal authorities and many national medical associations, Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers of Texas closed all practice locations and canceled all elective surgical procedures, with the exception of urgent and emergent cases, in order to limit the number of patient, doctor, and staff interactions and to do our part in slowing the spread of the novel COVID-19 virus.
Our medical directors and leadership teams have continued to monitor both national and local guidelines to ensure the safety of our patients and employees, and also to guide our operational decisions. This week, updated guidance from the White House along with Governor Greg Abbott’s executive order calling for lessened restrictions on elective procedures (issued on Friday April 17) have provided our Physician Advisory Board with the necessary and valuable information to lead to the following statement:
The medical leadership team currently anticipates that we will begin seeing a limited number of appointment types at select locations beginning Monday May 4, 2020.
We will be abiding by all rules and regulations of our local and federal government, as well as taking the following additional precautions in order to maintain the safety and well being of our patients and staff:
- Appointment Types:
- Appointment types will include: Cataract evaluations and consultations, medical evaluations for patients experiencing visual or ocular discomfort, post-ops, glaucoma evaluations and testing (HVF/OCT/TCK), LASIK evaluations, YAG laser procedures.
- Appointments will be limited to 3 per hour, per doctor, spaced 20 minutes apart.
- Elective surgical procedures will continue to be postponed until further notice.
- Check In: Mandatory Precautions
- Upon entry to our offices, all patients and staff who enter the building are required to wash/sanitize their hands thoroughly. Our offices have ready access to hand sanitizers for the frequent use of patients, office staff, and caregivers.
- Temperature checks for both patients and employees will be taken at the door upon entry.
- Patients and employees will be asked to wear a mask at all times, no exceptions.
- No guests will be allowed to accompany patients during their appointment unless the patient needs specific assistance. We ask that any guest please wait in their vehicle.
- Our waiting areas and check in/out have been arranged to allow for social distancing.
- Patient Screening
We’re screening all patients to check for history and symptoms that might indicate the presence of COVID-19. This is occurring both through our phone representatives when a patient calls to schedule an appointment and when patient’s check-in at our front desk on their date of service.
- Check in Symptomatic Screening: Procedure & Reschedule
All patients will be required to verify, and will be screened upon check in, that they have been symptom free for the past 14 days. Any patient who has experienced symptoms associated with COVID-19 within the past 14 days will be required to reschedule their appointment and urged to stay home to prevent possible virus spread. Symptoms to watch for, and included in our check in screening: cough, fever, and shortness of breath. If you are unsure, reschedule.
- Office Cleaning: Virus Killing Sanitation
Throughout the day, our office is being cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected. Frequently touched surfaces such as door handles, countertops, payment processing points, are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized on a regular schedule. We are following Center for Disease Control guidance, using cleaning products designed to kill virus germs.
- Medical Staff: Additional Training & Protocol
All members of our medical staff have received additional briefing, training, and implemented protocols per the CDC and WHO. Our staff has access to proper supplies to provide maximum safety to our patients including masks, gloves, sanitizer, and are allowing extra time in clinic schedules to ensure protocols are followed safely and effectively.
The medical leadership team at Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers of Texas will closely monitor scheduling and patient flow and make adjustments as needed. Creating a safe environment for our patients and employees is our top priority now and always. We look forward to continuing to provide the exceptional care and service that our patients and our partners expect from Kleiman Evangelista Eye Centers.
Resources – What Can Patients Do?
All patients are encouraged to follow CDC guidelines, including hand washing, using hand sanitizer, frequent cleaning of often used surfaces and social distancing. For Additional COVID-19 Resources, please visit:
State of Texas COVID-19: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/
Center for Disease Control COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Governor Abbott’s Official Executive Order: https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/EO-GA-14_Statewide_Essential_Service_and_Activity_COVID-19_IMAGE_03-31-2020.pdf